So the other night I had the biggest craving for another ice cream sandwich – I went to my freezer and unfortunately I had eaten them all.
As I am living on a budget, and following it strictly now, I am not due to go grocery shopping until Monday. So what should I do. I didn’t want to break my money rules for an ice cream sandwich – even at $3 dollars those little breaks can snowball.
So what did I do – I decided to make my own and it was even better than a store bought cookie sandwich. This is the vegan cookie recipe I used to make my epic ice cream sandwich
- 1/2 cup coconut oil not melted
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg (or egg replacement – I used a flax seed egg)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or vegan chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 350C
- Cream together coconut oil, sugars, egg (or egg replacement) and vanilla. Until Smooth.
- In a separate bowl whisk flour, soda and salt together.
- Slowly add your dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine with your hands (this is the most fun because you can lick the dough after!)
- Fold in chocolate chips of your choice (next time I am using mint!)
- Bake for 10 minutes, until soft golden brown
- If making an ice cream sandwich – wait 10 minutes and add a scoop of ice cream to the middle of 2 cookies:)
Enjoy these cookies and keep em around – I like to have a treat a day and these are pretty fantastic ❤❤