I went to a BBQ in the summer and this wonderful person made me a FANTASTIC risotto.
So then naturally I decided to make a risotto myself.
I wanted a veggie, creamy delicious risotto. So I thought what vegetables make a good soup because I bet they make a fantastic risotto and I was right.
I give you a creamy carrot risotto.
So simple but a so delicious.
I warn you though – a risotto involved a ton of love so be prepared to be stuck in the kitchen with this one.
I was inspired by a recipe I found but wanted to try making it vegan!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons unsalted vegan becel divided
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and chopped as finely and evenly as possible
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 5 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup minced onion
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine 1/4 cup vegan cream cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly shredded vegan parmesan cheese, plus 1/2 cup for garnish
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus 1 tbsp. for garnish
- 1 teaspoon roughly chopped fresh thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Heat 1 tbsp. oil and 1 tbsp. butter over medium- throw in carrots and stir to coat.
- Add 1/2 cup water, 1/2 tsp. salt, and the sugar; cover and cook 5 minutes, uncover then keep cooking until the carrots start to brown
- Remove from heat – puree 2/3rd of the carrots with 1/2 cup water. Save the other half for later.
- Heat remaining oil and butter over medium heat in same (unwashed) pot used for carrots. Add onion and cook until done. Add rice, stir well to coat in oil and add wine. Stir until the wine evaporates. Add wine and cook, stirring, until wine evaporates. Add in the carrot puree and cook until the mix looks more like rice and less like soup. Add in the fresh herbs.
- Add 1/2 cup of vegetable broth at a time and stir continuously until all the broth is gone.
- Remove from heat and stir in the parmesan cheese and vegan cream cheese, do this right away as the heat will melt it and help make it creamy.
- Serve immediately and garnish with parsley and parmesan
This creamy vegan risotto is a fantastic treat, fancy enough for guests and delicious enough for a weekly treat.