In my world eggs are a perfect meal just about any time of the day! Breakfast, lunch and dinner – but my favourite meal is Brunch.
My boyfriend teases me – he calls me a hobbit. He says that I enjoy meals are frequently as the hobbits do. I will say I do eat frequently. The hobbits are known to enjoy – breakfast, second breakfast, elevenses, luncheon, afternoon tea, dinner and supper.
Now I do not eat as many meals as that – but if I was a hobbit this would be my choice of meal for Elevenses 😉
- 1 small white potato – diced, and rinsed in cold water
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp cajun seasoning
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 2 tbsp TVP
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup shredded coleslaw
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 or 2 poached eggs (or eggs your way but lets be honest soft poached eggs are clearly the best).
- Make sure you rinse the potatoes in cold water – this removed the starch and helps make them crispier.
- Once rinsed dry potatoes well, toss in flour and 1/2 TBSP cajun seasoning.
- In a frying pan heat 1/2 the oil, and add potatoes. Saute for 5 to 10 minutes, until golden. Transfer to baking dish and bake in the oven until fork tender (about 15 minutes at 350 C)
- While the potatoes bake, add the remaining oil, onions and garlic to the pan. Saute until fragrant (about 3 minutes).
- Add TVP and cajun seasoning – saute for 1 minute. Add in water to re-hydrate the TVP. Saute for 3 or 4 minutes to finish.
- Cook the eggs to your preference!
In a bowl add potatoes, top with TVP mixture, coleslaw and fresh eggs.
Chuck’s Taste Rating:
Jess’s Taste Rating:
I would give it higher, but I think for higher it needs Guac and I did not have any!