I have been obsessed with refried beans since I was a little girl.
Truth time! I used to love #tacobell I would go with my dad and get the same thing every time! 2 double decker tacos and bean burrito. If you know anything about taco bell you know that the common theme in all of these recipes is refried beans!
Refried beans are DELICIOUS. As I got into plant based living I was happy to know that I could recreate my favourite bean burrito still and enjoy a childhood meal I loved.
Here you can see my homemade version of a bean burrito!
Burritos are awesome because you can put whatever you want in them and make them vegan, vegetarian, the list is endless!
But this homemade burrito is filled with my favourite Jalapeno Homemade Refried Beans (I like things SPICY)!
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
½ cup finely chopped yellow
¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, )the juice is important)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon lime juice (about ½ medium lime), to taste
2 or more jalapenos – (depending on how spicy you like), diced fine!
- In a frying pan, add oil, onions – sauté until translucent. (about 6 minutes).
- Add in Garlic, Jalapenos and spices! Sauté for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add in canned beans with their liquid! (If you use cooked pinto beans, add in about 3/4 cup of water!). Bring to a boil and simmer covered for 5 minutes.
- Uncover and slowly start to mash the beans – I like to mash them so about 3/4 are smooth but its a preference! So mash until you are happy with the texture!
- Remove the pan from the heat and add in the extras, cilantro and lime juice (again to taste!). I also add a bit of hot sauce if I find it still needs a bit of a kick!
- If you like super smooth beans you can add a splash of water and use a hand mixer.
ENJOY. Serve the beans in a burrito, as a side, or just eat them plain!