Falafel! Falafel! Falafel!
Before I was vegan I used to love the beef shawarma bowls. They were delicious and I ate mine on sticks. But now the idea of having a beef shawarma bowl makes me ill. So I jumped on the falafel bandwagon. I started going out for shawarma and getting the falafel plates.
They were delicious but we all know that anything fried is not healthy, so I decided to challenge myself to make my favourite falafels at home, in my air fryer and to make them healthy!
Ingredients for the falafel mix:
- 2 cups dried chickpeas (Do NOT use canned or cooked chickpeas)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves, stems removed
- ¾ cup fresh cilantro leaves, stems removed
- ½ cup fresh dill, stems removed
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 7-8 garlic cloves, peeled
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 tsp baking powder
The 2 best things about this falafel recipe is you can really put it in a pita or in a bowl or just eat them AND the air fryer makes the SO SO SO crispy and delicious. For me I made them and put them in a bowl.
In my bowl I add in:
- Crisped potatoes
- Chopped tomatoes
- Fresh cucumber
- Pickled Turnips
- Shredded cheese
- Tahini garlic sauce.
- This recipe is very easy first you need to prep your chickpeas. You can prep them 1 of 2 ways.
- Way number 1 is to soak your chickpeas overnight under about 5 inches of water and baking soda.
- Way number 2 is the quick method way to cover your chickpeas with water and baking soda, bring to a boil and then leave for 1.5 hours.
- Once the chickpeas are prepped through everything for the falafel mix into a blender and pulse until you get it to your desired consistency – I like mine chunkier but some people like a smoother mix! Play around with yours and see what you like best!
- Place the chickpea mixture in the fridge for 1 hour to firm up – while the falafel mix is in the fridge this is a great time to prep all your toppings!
- Once the mixture is firm, start forming falafel balls (I like the balls to be round but some people prefer a patty!). Plop them in your air fryer at 350F for 12 minutes then enjoy!
This recipe is so healthy and delicious, but no meal is complete without a delicious dessert why not check out some of my dessert recipes? Like my delicious, death by chocolate vegan chocolate cheesecake!