Have you ever have a stuffed tomato?
Growing up I was never a tomato person. I thought they were icky! Then my mom started making us baked tomatoes and I learnt that I love cooked, warm tomatoes. She used to make us the Susan Summers roast tomatoes.
As I have gotten older I realized that there are so many AMAZING things we can do with tomatoes, so I often keep a few in the fridge.
On my waste free/sweep the fridge journey I decided to make myself a stuffed tomato. It was super easy, cheesy and delicious.
- 1 tomato per serving
- Mexican Ground Round (I use Yves – it makes 6 tomatoes)
- Taco Seasoning
- Vegan cheese (1/8th cup per tomato)
- 1/8 red onion per tomato (or onion of your choice)
- Cut off the top of the tomato and hollow it out
- Chop up the red onion into small pieces. Sauteed in pan sprayed with 2 sprays of oil.
- Add in taco seasoning and the diced tomato insides.
- Add in the ground round and saute until cooked through.
- Remove from heat and stir in vegan cheese.
- Scoop filling into tomato and bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until tomato is tender.
Dinner in 30 minutes.