𝘋𝘰 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘮𝘪𝘴𝘴 𝘣𝘦𝘦𝘧?
Recently I was asked if I ever missed meat. Specifically Beef (after all I do live in cattle country! #albertabeef )
The truthful answer is sometimes. Sometimes I get a craving for a great steak. But the truth is I99% of the time I can find an epic vegan/vegetarian replacement that fills my cravings and keeps me meat free.
For instance, I was watching Hell’s kitchen and getting constant cravings for a beef Wellington, so I did some research, found a couple vegan options and came up with this master piece!
I give you the AllTheRightBites mushroom free (because mushrooms are gross 😉) vegan wellington!
- 1 sheet vegan puff pastry , thawed if frozen (about 10X13)
- 2 tbsp ground flax meal + 5 tablespoons water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ medium red onion , diced
- 2 small carrots , diced small
- 2 stalks celery , diced
- 4 cloves garlic , minced or crushed
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp ground sage
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- 8 oz zucchini minced
- 1.5 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 15 oz can chickpeas, drained, not rinsed
- ¼ ground walnuts
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1.5 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp salt, more to taste
- Fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp vegan butter, melted (I used becel)
- Preheat oven to 400F and cover a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Combine flax seed and water to make egg replacements.
- Sauté onions, celery, and carrots until soft.
- Add in herbs and sauté for 1 more minute.
- Add zucchini and sauté until they release their moisture (7 minutes).
- Add soy sauce to pan and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl mash chickpea but keep lumpy.
- To chickpeas add cooled veggie mixture, breadcrumbs, ground nuts, flax eggs, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste and salt & pepper.
- Mix with your hands like you would a meat loaf or meat balls!
- Form the mixture into a log and place in the middle of the pastry sheet.
- Wrap the loaf with the pastry sheet, seal the ends and brush with melted vegan butter.
- Cut a diagonal patter on the top (criss cross slits)
- Bake for 35 minutes, until golden brown!
ENJOY and don’t even think about beef. This tastes so much better!
𝐓𝐚𝐠 𝐚 𝐟𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐨𝐰 𝐦𝐮𝐬𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐨𝐦 𝐡𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐧𝐞𝐞𝐝𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐫𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐢𝐩𝐞!