I used to be obsessed with Taco bell when I was a kid. I would go with my dad and get the same thing every time. 1 double-decker taco and 1 bean burrito. As I got older I fell for the 7 layer burrito even more – the only issue the 7 layer burrito is not vegan! So I started working on perfecting my 7 layer burrito skills.
The taco bell 7 layer burrito has taco ground beef and rice, 3 kinds of cheese, diced tomatoes, lettuce sour cream and guac! This 7 layer burrito has taco reasoned refried beans and rice, 3 vegan kinds of cheese, diced tomatoes, lettuce, vegan sour cream and guac. #SameSamebutVegan
The secret to any 7 layer burrito that is homemade is taco sauce and taco bell fire sauce – because yes you can still get those little packets.
So let’s get cooking and let’s make my 7 layer bean burrito.
- 1 cup jalapeno refried beans
- 1 cup rice
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 tbsp vegan butter (optional)
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 cup vegan cheese (I use a mix of pepper jack, cheddar and mozzarella).
- 1/2 cup red onions diced
- 1 tbsp taco sauce per burrito
- 1 packet of fire sauce per burrito
- 2 tbsp guac per burrito
- 2 tbsp. sour cream per burrito
- In my instapot I made my Mexican spiced rice – 1 tbsp. of taco seasoning for 1 cup of rice. I add in the butter to help make extra tasty rice but it is optional.
- I warm up my refried beans, you can use my recipe or you can buy it canned already! I warm it up so they are nice and spicy, I then mix 2 to 3 scoops of beans with 1 to 2 tbsp of taco sauce to make them like taco bells.
- Now it is time to assembled. ON a tortilla place the rice, refrieds beans, shredded lettuce, some cheese, red onions, guac, sour cream and fire sauce.
- Fold the 2 ends in then roll the burrito. Fry on the stove top until each side is golden brown.
Now we all know that the original recipe calls for ground beef, and I have always been iffy on vegan ground beef replacements but recently I found the impossible beef. So far impossible beef is my favourite and I have made this very burrito and instead of taco spiced rice, I use impossible beef and taco seasoning instead. It is delicious, I think mixing the taco seasoning into the ground beef and the beans become optional!
Your call but either way the fire sauce is always key.
Also if you are looking for more taco recipes make sure you check out my page dedicated to Taco Tuesday where I share every taco recipe I have ever made!