Recently I was watching a food network show that involved participants using food that the head chef regularly keeps in their fridge.
It got me thinking about what food I always keep in my fridge!
Well right now you will find vegan lemon yogurt, tofu, fresh vegetables and VEGAN PUFF PASTRY.
I love to have puff pastry on hand in my fridge because it is so easy to make something delicious from it. Like this brussel sprouts tart.
Vegan Puff Pastry is Pretty Good & Easy!
- 1 stick vegan butter (I used @EarthBalance)
- 2 cups pastry flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp softened vegan butter (Still earth balance!).
- 1/2 cup water
- Shredded the butter with a box grater (its best to use frozen butter – not just fridge cold. Keep it in the freezer shredded so that it is easy to work with – cold butter is teh secret to delicious pastry.
- In a mixer combing, flour, salt and softened butter. Mix until the mixture looks like bread crumbs.
- Gradually add the water, 1 or tbsps. at a time until dough comes together. It will feel dry but if you keep pressing it will come together.
- Knead the dough for about 4 to 5 minutes, then cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge to cool for 15 minutes (remember cold dough is delicious dough!).
- Remove from the fridge, place on a lightly floured surface and roll out to about 1/4 inch thick.
- Remove the butter from the freezer, Dust dough with 2/3rds. then place the other third back in the fridge.
- Fold top 3rd of dough over (without butter), then other third. Turn the dough 1/4 turn and roll out again to 1/4 thick.
- Repeat the process with the remaining butter.
- Seal the ends so the butter doesn’t fall out, cover in wrap and rest in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Once ready, repeat the folding (without butter) twice more to get lots of delicious layers in it!
- Repeat as many times as you want for more layers.
Freezes for up to 2 months. So I make it once a month and keep it in individual disc sections in my freezer!