Do you remember pop-tarts? Do you remember running to the cupboard and grabbing a chocolate pop-tart throwing it in the toaster and being in heaven? Because I do. I used to be obsessed with pop-tarts, as long as they were chocolate-related #whoneedsfruit
I was OBSESSED. I am now 29 and still obsessed with all things chocolate and pop-tart related but when I went vegan I had to say goodbye to my favourite treats. But not anymore! I have developed my own homemade pop-tarts. You can use vegan nutella or you can make your own!
- 2 cups cake & pastry flour (you can use all purpose but I like the flakiness).
- 2/3 cup vegan butter (I used vegan becel or vegan melt).
- 2 to 4 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla non dairy milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Approximately 1/2 cup of your choice – Raspberry jam, jelly, vegan marshmallows etc.
- I used my homemade Vegan Nutella.
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- Make your pastry – whisk together salt and flour. Slowly cut in butter creating a nice buttery crumble. I like to use my handed and just work the butter through the flour. Slowly add in 1 tbsp. of water at a time until you have a dough.
- Cut the Dough – so roll the dough out until it is about 1/4 inch thick. Cut out your pop-tart shapes – I make mine smaller and square but you can use any size and shape you want! You will need 2 cut outs per pop tart. My recipe made 10 pop tarts because of the size of my cookie cutter.
- Fill the Pop-tarts. I place about 1 tbsp. of filling the in the middle and wet the edge of the bottom pop tart. I put the covering pop tart on top and press the edges down with a fork to seal. Place on your cookie sheet. They do not spread so you should be okay with placing them closer.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 375F
- While baking whisk together all the vanilla glaze ingredients. It should be a nice drizzle consistency
- Pull the pop-tarts out of the oven and let them cool.
- Drizzle with the vanilla glaze and sprinkle with sprinkles 🤣❤🌈