I posted my vegan pastry dough this past week and I thought I would share one of my favourite recipes that I use it for!
Vegan Pierogi Pie! Once you have your vegan pastry it is the easiest thing in the world to make! It is delicious and everyone who has tried it loves it.
You can always change it up and add your favourite pierogi fillings but my favourite is the typical bacon, potato and onion (all vegan versions of course)!. I have tagged all my favourite vegan substitutes below 🙂
- 1 sheet of vegan puff pastry
- 8 small (new) potatoes
- 8 rashers vegan bacon
- 1 medium onion, sliced into half rings
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsps aquafaba for egg wash replacement
- 2 green onions, for garnish
- First we want to prepare the filling (I normally do this on a food prep day so it doesn’t take me long to make the pie when I actually want it!)
- Bake the potatoes at 350 for about 30 minutes. Allow to cool then slice about 1.5 CMS thick. I use my mandolin for consistency
- Fry the bacon until its crispy – then dice.
- Saute the onions until turning golden brown
- Grate your cheese or buy grated cheese
- Your oven should be preheated to 350F
- Grease your pan – I make a big pie so I use a deep dish pampered chef pan 12 inches.
- Roll out your dough to the right shape and drape over the pan, with the edge hanging over.
- Spread the cream cheese evenly over the bottom, top with 3/4s of the potato slices & onion,. top with 1/2 the cheese and bacon.
- Repeat the layers with the rest of the potatoes, onion, cheese and bacon.
- Fold the edges around the pie making a nice edge but keeping the middle bare.
- Brush the edges with the aquafaba.
- Bake for 45 minutes until everything is delicious, golden and bubbly!
- Sprinkle with green onions if you would like!
This recipe was inspired by the non vegan version.