In case you hadn’t noticed yet – I am obsessed with puff pastry!
Something about puff pastry just makes me smile, its flakey and delicious and always feels like a treat!
Recently I decided to treat myself with cheese, puffy pastry and all things spicy – jalapenos!
I made my Puff Pastry Jalapeno Strudel
- 1/3 broccoli head chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 8 oz. zucchini chopped
- 2 to 4 jalapenos – to taste
- 2 tablespoons frying oil
- 1 heaped teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3.5 oz grated habanero cheddar
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Sauté all the vegetables in garlic and oil until cooked – start with broccoli and pepper, then after 3 minutes add the zucchini!
- Place all the vegetables in the fridge to cool (this way when we mix in the cheese it doesn’t start to melt right away!).
- While the veggies are cooling, heat the oven to 400F.
4.Once the vegetables are cooled, stir in the cheese!
- On a floured piece of baking paper, roll out the pastry dough so it is a long rectangle. Arrange filling in the center, like a log. Fold the pastry over and pinch it like a strudel.
- In a bowl whisk together the egg and milk, brush over the pastry to give the dough a nice glaze.
- Bake until golden brown (about 25 minutes), wait 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
This recipe is a sure crowd pleaser, especially for you vegetarians this Christmas. It’s always nice to feel included with something special.
To make this vegan swap out the cheddar cheese with nut cheese and for the egg wash use vegan becel!