There is something wonderful and delicious about a baked pasta meal. Baked pasta is just so comforting! What more could you want? Pasta and cheese are an epic combination!
I was craving some baked pasta and mac n cheese – the problem with mac n cheese it its often heavy, and super rich foods can bother the stomach.
So I worked on a vegan cheese sauce for this cheesy bake! Let me know what you think
Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) canned coconut milk or ripple pea milk (I used ripple milk because I have it on hand, and its lower fat!))
- 3 tbsp (20 g) nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Pinch of smoked paprika
- 2 packages of gnocchi!
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- Dairy Free cheese to top (optional)
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
For the Cheese Sauce
- Add 1/2 cup milk, spices, and yeast to a sauce pan – bring to a slow boil.
- Whisk flour and remaining milk in a bowl until smooth – slowly add milk/flour mixture to the sauce pan.
- Whisk to combine, stir until stretchy and thick!
For the Pasta Bake
- I like my gnocchi to be a bit crisp (so this step is optional!). Melt vegan butter in pan and pan fry the gnocchi.
- Remove gnocchi from heat and in a large bowl add chopped broccoli and cheese sauce – mix together until all the pasta and broccoli is coated in the cheesy sauce!
- Portion the pasta into individual dishes – top with vegan cheese and bake for 20 minutes at 350C.