Have you ever tried an Air Fryer?
Recently my boyfriend and I got an air fryer and I am frying everything I possibly can!
Recently I was missing home, but to be honest I was extra missing the swiss chalet pierogies I used to eat. If you have had them you know what I mean, deep fried little pillows of deliciousness.
Well since I have an air fryer I figured I could recreate these delicious little pockets of heaven and boy am I glad I did.
I am not a pierogie expert so I was inspired by a recipe by Meatloafandmelodrama but modified it a bit to suit my spicy taste buds!
For the Pierogi Dough
5 cups flour
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon butter, softened
1 cup lukewarm potato water
1/2 cup oat milk (I do not have cow milk in my house)
For the Cheddar Cheese Potato Filling
5 Yukon Gold potatoes
3 cups shredded habenaro sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup cream cheese
1 red onion diced
5 garlic gloves diced.
Sea Salt to taste
Black Pepper to taste
Directions For the filling:
- Boil the potatoes until you can mash them with a fork.
- While the potatoes cook saute the onions and garlic until they are transparent.
- Drain the potatoes and keep 1 cup of the potato water.
- Mash the potatoes with a fork, then combine with shredded cheese, cream cheese, and onion/garlic mixture.
Directions for the dough
- In a bowl, mix flour and sea salt together, create a well in the middle
- In the center add the milk, eggs and butter
- Gradually add the potato water, and mix until dough starts to form. Add enough water to form a ball, and knead until no longer sticky. Add more water if too dry or more flour if dough is still too sticky
- I put the lid on my bowl and let rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into workable balls. roll out and cut with a large cookie cutter (or large glass)
- I filled my pierogies generously with a large spoon of filling. Pinch the sides together (I used a bit of water to help the dough stick better).
Directions – Cooking
Now Air Frying Pierogies is east, simply freeze the pierogies, drizzle with a tablespoon of oil and toss in an air fryer for 10 minutes. Watch out they might leak!