I have an obsession with gnocchi. Gnocchi in my mind is the best pasta ever. Its made from Pasta and Potatoes and its pure deliciousness.
During my sweep the fridge week I discovered I had everything in my fridge to make some home made butternut squash gnocchi! So here it is with some vegan hacks
1 1-pound butternut squash
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 12-to 14-ounce russet potato, peeled, quartered
3/4 cup finely grated vegan cheese (I used Daiya)
1 large egg, beaten to blend (instead I used a flax seed egg)
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups (or more) all purpose flour
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
Additional grated Parmesan cheese
- I started with frozen butternut squash because I was “sweeping my fridge” so i boiled my 1 pound of frozen butternut squash, and once cooked I put it in a sauce pan to cook and let thicken (around 5 minutes). I also boiled and mashed the potato.
- I then put approximately 1 cup or this cooked butternut squash, the cooked potato and egg, cheese and spices into my blender and gave it a few good pulses. This made it smooth.
- Next i transfer the smooth potato/squash mixture to a bowl and gradually added the flour until the dough formed.
- I put a large piece of parchment on my work surface and working with 1 dough ball at a time i made dough ropes. I then cut the gnocchi into the side I wanted. Those people who get really fancy will use a fork to create ridges but I was super hungry and not that patient. I then chilled the dough in my fridge for an hour while I made cup cakes because every awesome dinner needs an awesome dessert!
- I boiled the gnocchi in the pot until tender about 15 minutes, then lifted them with a slotted spoon and tossing them in a pan fried vegan butter and sage. Topping with more daiya cheese!